Providing Multiple Results For Boat(s) in a Race.
- TopYacht expects that only one race per series is set up at any one time. That race is “completed” before the next race is set up for that Series.
- Auto updating Handicaps normally adjust within one Series not across several Series although this can be achieved if needed.
Option 1: Results Groups
This provides multiple results for any boat(s) within a Series. Example IRC Handicap results for Race 4 and at the same time as Club handicap results for the same race.
Points of Note:
- This is the simplest form of multiple results per boat for a race to use week by week. Allocate the boat the various groups once and get multiple results for each race with out doing anything else.
- This assumes that the boat receives (as per above example) an IRC and a Club Handicap result for every race in the Series.
- Boat(s) can be entered into one or two or as many Result Groups as you desire within one Series.
- One results group eg IRC may only have a limited number of boats while another group may have all boats in the Series.
Option 2: Sessions
A common entry screen is used to input finish times for multiple Series at the one time. Further, if a boat is in some of those multiple Series then the single entry of a finish time will be allocated to all the series for which that boat is an entrant.
Points of Note:
- The race number in one Series does not have to be the same as the race number in the other Series.
- The race number that accepts the finish time for the boat is the nominated in any Series at that time.
- The boat must be an entrant in each relevant Series.
- The start time for each Series is set up within each Series
- Once the Race in each Session is finished with then a new session must be created.
- Each Series is totally independent in every sense. This system is simply used to entry finish times via a common screen.
- This approach works
- with manually entered times or
- With times entered using the TopYacht Stopwatch or
- With times imported from a csv.
Option 3: Parent Child Linked Races
Using this approach finish times are entered into a “parent” Series. The race is processed and checked in the parent Series, and then a race is set up in the child Series. This (child) race is linked to a race of the parent and uses the start and finish times of the parent. See Appendix 1: Parent / Child Linked Example
Points of Note:
- The boat must be an entrant in each relevant series.
- The boat need only be entered into the race in the parent Series.
- The parent Series is not a special Series. On a race by race basis a different Series can be used as the Parent if desired.
- The child Series can also have a race set up that is not linked to any parent Series if desired.
- The Handicap from the parent can also be used in the child if desired. This allows auto updating Handicaps to develop in a Parent Series and be used in a variety of child Series.
- A number of Child Series can be linked to a secession of races in a parent Series. This provides a parent for developing an ongoing Handicap for a number of Series that say run on the first Saturday of the month, another on the second Saturday etc.
- Likewise this allows Handicaps to flow forward from say the November Series (child) to the December Series (child). [Note this may be available in an alternate “Handicap follow on” link
Option 4: A Combination of the Above:
The above can be mixed and matched to suit the clubs calendar.
Appendix 1: Parent / Child Linked Example